Author Topic: BAR 1 - 64 bit kernel nvidia not loading  (Read 1320 times)

Offline genux

• Coding Friends - social site for exchanging software knowledge
BAR 1 - 64 bit kernel nvidia not loading
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »
Hi All,

Just to say that I am not sure if it helps, but I was struggling when I upgraded my laptop from 2GB to 4GB with the nvidia graphics onboard was still trying to gain the memory block from the same place instead of a upper region in memory (the acer BIOS was not telling it to do so). . So I had to move a the nvidia graphics card request to another region in the memory with this update to the kernel in the file ./arch/x86/pci/i386.c within the function

static void __init pcibios_allocate_bus_resources(struct list_head *bus_list)

if ((r->start >= 0xc0000000) && (r->end <= 0xcfffffff)) {
                                        dev_info(&dev->dev,                             
                                                 " not allocating resource 0xc - 0xcf %pR\n",
                                                 r);                                         
                                        /*                                                   
                                                stop any resources gaining the 0xc0000000 - 0xcfffffff
                                                region, the linux kernel will re-place them.         
                                        */                                                           
                                        r->flags = 0;                                                 
                                }                                                                     

/* where the nvidia is going and replace in the above region */
                                if ((r->start == 0xb0000000) && (r->end == 0xbfffffff)) {     
                                        r->start = 0xc0000000;                                 
                                        r->end = 0xcfffffff;                                   
                                }

I am not sure if this helps any one.. but I thought that I would post it so that it could help.!!

Here is more details if required about memory locations and also abit more details about the error.

http://www.codingfriends.com/index.php/2010/01/07/bar-15-bar-1-no-parent-nvidia-graphics-card-does-not-work/

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

BAR 1 - 64 bit kernel nvidia not loading
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »