Author Topic: Dual Boot Partition Mystery  (Read 1922 times)

Offline BEEDO

Dual Boot Partition Mystery
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:17:49 PM »
Hi,

I decided to put ubuntu studio 12.04 alongside XP pro on an old laptop with a 250 GB hard drive for a dual boot. Being new to partitioning and mounting, etc, I used Gparted to shrink XP from:

/dev/ntfs 232.88 GB      used 49.68 GB     unused 183.20 GB  unallocated 10.34 GB  to;

/dev/sda1 78.13 GB  (I was shooting for around 80 GB).

next I installed with ubuntu studio cd and chose "something else" for the type of installation
my installation type table ended up like this: (I am rounding my GB's)

/dev/sda1     ntfs                               84GB     (did not check the format box)     I didn't select a mount point
/dev/sda2     EX4       /                      25GB      (checked format box)
/dev/sda4     EX4      /home           136GB      (checked format box)     This was the left over space after I did the others
/dev/sda3     swap                               5GB      (checked format box)      I put this at the "end" of  the volume

So, I started up XP and all my programs and files worked like before, then I rebooted to ubuntu and it worked as expected, but there was an extra desktop icon labeled "84 GB File system" that when moused over says 'removable volume not mounted yet'
 It is a copy of what I have in my XP partition or else it is what is in the partition. Should I assign it a mount point and if so where? or perhaps something else?

Can anyone help? Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:30:51 PM by BEEDO »

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Dual Boot Partition Mystery
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:17:49 PM »

Offline UbuntuGeek

• Administrator
Re: Dual Boot Partition Mystery
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:51:23 PM »
That is definitely your windows XP partition and which is ntfs partition