Author Topic: Aspire One Ubuntu 12.10 boot-repair  (Read 1728 times)

Offline mannee

Aspire One Ubuntu 12.10 boot-repair
« on: July 19, 2013, 05:12:29 PM »
First, I will humbly and respectfully admit I'm a noob... I don't know what I did to piss this netbook off so much...

Acer Aspire One 110 running Ubuntu 12.10 was shut down improperly about 2 weeks ago and has since been refusing to boot, initially giving me a "No init" error. It booted normally a few times, but couldn't shut down properly sometimes, and eventually just stopped booting. Live USB boots up (sometimes I've had to try a few times before it read the USB), but non of the instructions I found online for repairing the issue worked. I tried reinstalling and upgrading the kernal and grub manually, which just led to booting to a black grub screen with no functionality, then after running boot-repair, I can now boot to a purple grub screen that seems like it would function if I knew what in the dickens to do with it. I'm booted now on Live USB... praying to the gods of binary that I don't have to clean reinstall.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5889980/

Let me know if any other info needed to help me ID the issue.

May you comprise peace and prosperity, Mannee

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Aspire One Ubuntu 12.10 boot-repair
« on: July 19, 2013, 05:12:29 PM »

Offline tragicallyhip

Re: Aspire One Ubuntu 12.10 boot-repair
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 07:43:10 AM »
You have gone to some trouble and dealt with your fair share frustration, do a clean install and put this mess behind you and move on.Sorry if my reply sounds a bit lame but I have been in your shoes many times my self with Linux. However I do have a suggestion regarding a more appropriate OS to use on a machine with your specs. I would recommend trying Zorin  6.3 .

Good Luck

Tragic