Author Topic: Upgrading Ubuntu in my Mini-9 - need some guidance  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Born2Linux

Upgrading Ubuntu in my Mini-9 - need some guidance
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:01:15 AM »
After spending over 30 years as a Unix user and developer and a few years heading up my own company using Linux to develop firmware for some communication devices, I am retired and bought the Dell Mini-9 as a system to do some firmware development for some ham radio applications, etc. I'm using the Mini-9 with 8GB onboard ram and 2 external USB 160GB hard drives for apps and storage. It's been about 8 years since I've used a Linux box and am a little [a lot] rusty. Now that you know my story, here's my problem. The Mini-9 came with Ubuntu 8.04 and it has been doing OK except for it freezing a couple of times a day so I've been looking to upgrade. From what my research has determined that I need to upgrade to 8.10 before 9.10. I have downloaded both releases and have burned iso CDs for both those releases. I have a USB CD drive connected to the Mini-9 to boot from for the upgrades. Here's my questions: 1) What can I expect with the update? Are there any "gotches" that I can look forward to. 2) I'm assuming that the upgrade will not cause problems with my Wine apps or other system and package installs ... Basically what I need to know up front is ... can I expect a smooth upgrade. After installation I expect to be able to boot the Mini-9 with no crashes. Looking to hear from the team here.

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Upgrading Ubuntu in my Mini-9 - need some guidance
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:01:15 AM »

Offline joe12

Re: Upgrading Ubuntu in my Mini-9 - need some guidance
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »
hi

1) What can I expect with the update?
-Do not use ubuntu 8:10 as it no longer supported
9:10
-new file system ext4
-the windows installer does not work because of GRUB issue's .
- improved speed
-new boot up srceen 
-revemped Software Center
for more go to http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisUbuntu/910features  and http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910
 tip
-do not install any 3th party driver until you having install all update's .
 hope it helps