Author Topic: Video Resolution issue - 9.10  (Read 4052 times)

Offline jmo

Video Resolution issue - 9.10
« on: April 04, 2010, 02:34:28 PM »
Hello,
  I am a linux newbie and I am having a problem with a system I am trying to setup for a friend.  Old Dell desktop, Ubuntu 9.10.  Everything installed fine and works just fine.  However the resolution is set to 1280x1024 and I want to lower it for my friend.  While I am logged in I can change the resolution to anything I want via the Display GUI.  It tests the new resolution and prompts me to keep it, just as you would expect.  Absolutely no problems.  However, when I restart the box after having changed the resolution, the login screen looks fine, but when I am log in as the user, the display is now messed up (3 or 4 columns with lines across the display).  If I manually delete the Gnome config files .gnome2, etc., I can log back on with the original resolution 1280x1024.  I can't seem to find a fix.

Any ideas of what could be wrong?  NOTE:  It doesn't detect my monitor, under the Display GUI it reports monitor unknown.  I don't know if this has any bearing.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Video Resolution issue - 9.10
« on: April 04, 2010, 02:34:28 PM »

Offline joe12

Re: Video Resolution issue - 9.10
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:58:20 PM »
hi

have you installed a driver for your  graphics-card driver  ?? ..... if not see How To install graphics-card driver (guideTutorial / Howto) 

hope it helps