Author Topic: Switching between Operating Systems?  (Read 4176 times)

Offline johnkelly.110

Switching between Operating Systems?
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:15:38 PM »
I have Ubuntu 9.10 running alongside Vista Home Edition. Most of the "stuff" I do; I am able to do through Ubuntu 9.10 and the Open Source Software (about 95%). However, as a Newbie to Ubuntu 9.10, sometimes, I find I still need to use my original OS - Vista, to do some very specific things! The only way I know how to switch from one OS to the other is to Restart the system and open the OS I want to use! Is there a quicker way to switch between each system?
 :) If this question sounds a little naive - I did tell you I was a Newbie! :)

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Switching between Operating Systems?
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:15:38 PM »

Offline Bruce H

Re: Switching between Operating Systems?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:38:19 PM »
The short answer is no, there is no way to switch between operating systems without a reboot. But there are other options available to you with Ubuntu.

It is possible to run Vista inside Ubuntu using VirtualBox. This may (or may not) be a good solution for you depending on what you are trying to accomplish. It's not a good way to run games or other applications that require accelerated graphics. To install VirtualBox, you can open the Ubuntu Software Center (Applications->Ubuntu Software Center) or the Synaptic Package Manager (System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager). Then search for VirtualBox. Alternatively, you can open a Terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) and type the following command:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install virtualbox
You may also be able to use Wine to run your Windows applications natively inside Ubuntu. (As opposed to using a virtual machine such as VirtualBox.) Relatively few programs run well in Wine, though many of the most popular programs are usable. To install Wine, follow the directions above. The terminal command to do so is, unsurprisingly:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install wine
VirtualBox - http://www.virtualbox.org/
Wine - http://www.winehq.org/

Offline johnkelly.110

Re: Switching between Operating Systems?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:32:52 PM »
Thanks Bruce H
If I am unable to switch "smoothly" between Ubuntu and Vista then (for the time being) I'll stick with re-booting until such times as I feel more comfortable with Ubuntu 9.10.
This strategy may help me to "work harder" on becoming more familiar and comfortable with Ubuntu. Like I said, I am doing about 95% of what I normally do - using Ubuntu and the Open Source software.
I look forward to "ditching" Windows and using Linux/Ubuntu/Open Source Applications more and more. But, I'm sure I will be back on these Forum Pages again a few times before I can think of that.
 :)Thanks! :)