Author Topic: Grub 2 slow to load  (Read 5328 times)

Offline joe2005

Grub 2 slow to load
« on: January 02, 2010, 06:16:18 AM »
I have a pc with XP in one hard drive,Windows 7 RC and Ubuntu 9.10 on a second hard drive.I have no issues regarding the working.But grub takes too long to load.I have not noticed this when Ubuntu 9.04 was there.How do I resolve this ?

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Grub 2 slow to load
« on: January 02, 2010, 06:16:18 AM »

Offline UbuntuGeek

• Administrator
Re: Grub 2 slow to load
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:15:19 AM »
There is a bug related to this check this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/420933

Solution

The problem could be grub2 and the boot partition being on different drives. As a workaround you can do this

sudo dkpg-reconfigure grub-pc

Select the disk that has your boot partition as the disk to boot from. Then change the boot order in your bios to boot from that drive.

I have a pc with XP in one hard drive,Windows 7 RC and Ubuntu 9.10 on a second hard drive.I have no issues regarding the working.But grub takes too long to load.I have not noticed this when Ubuntu 9.04 was there.How do I resolve this ?

Offline joe2005

Re: Grub 2 slow to load
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »
Thanks. Will carrying out this change will hold good after an up grade?alternatively will you suggest shifting the partition to the first hard disk
permanently solve this?As I am a newbie may I request how to do if the alternate method is accepted.