Author Topic: Problem with gnome theme after changing Plymouth theme  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Cammy

Problem with gnome theme after changing Plymouth theme
« on: May 08, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »
Hi everyone.

I upgraded to Lucid a few days ago, and after installing my nVidia drivers, my plymouth image got all huge and awful looking.  While trying to fix it, I came across a tutorial here on Ubuntu Geek about how to change your plymouth image (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-do-you-change-the-boot-splash-screen-image-for-10-04-lucid-lynx.html), so I followed the bottom part.

After doing so, the next time I booted up and logged in, my gnome desktop theme was gone.  By gone I mean I had no theme at all, just the default gnome look.  I'm able to get the theme back by:

1) Going into Appearance Preferences (every time I boot up) and just closing it.
2) Logging out and right back in.

I've determined that gnome-settings-daemon is not running after I boot up.  I've tried adding it to startup apps, but when I do that, the theme appears for a second, then vanishes again.  I've even tried using a bash script to delay start it, to no avail.

I'm pretty sure the command from the tutorial that started all of this was:
gksu -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties

It's at the end of the plymouth theme installation section, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with plymouth themes.

If there's a way to fix this, I haven't been able to figure it out, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Problem with gnome theme after changing Plymouth theme
« on: May 08, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »

Offline joe12

Re: Problem with gnome theme after changing Plymouth theme
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 11:30:37 AM »
hi
have you run these two comands ?:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

gksu -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties

hope it helps

Offline Cammy

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:35:40 PM »
Yep I have, and I thought that last one was the problem.  But, it isn't.

I did a fresh install of Lucid last night, from the CD, formatting the root partition.  I installed the basics (Thunderbird, Opera, etc) and set a few prefs.  Booted up this morning and the problem is back, so I've gone back to Jaunty for now.

I have NO idea what could be causing this vanishing theme problem.  Every time I think it's something, I reinstall without that thing, and the problem returns.  So it's Jaunty for now.

Offline joe12

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
hi

- sound like a bug did you check for updates in 10.04  you could try Linux mint google it ! .

hope it helps

Offline Cammy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »
I installed all the available updated for Lucid, to no avail.

Right now I'm running karmic with the Lucid theme engine (I like that Ambiance theme!).  So far so good!

Offline joe12

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 10:14:40 PM »
hi

go to software sources and then updates tab , make sure you tick all under ubuntu updates now close and refesh then update !

hope it helps