Author Topic: New to Ubuntu  (Read 1974 times)

Offline DelRey

New to Ubuntu
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:32:23 AM »
Hello,

I have been a Mac user for most of my life. I used to love their products but lately, their business policies do not sit well with me and I think it is time for a change.

BTW, I do not consider Windows an option by any stretch of the imagination.

I use my Mac for work and leisure.

Are there any Linux applications that are up to par with:

Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe After Effects, Apple's Garageband, iDVD, a good web browser (Safari/Firefox), a good email client, a good jukebox app, M$ Powerpoint, M$ Word, Apple's Keynote, Cinema 4D, Apple's iChat, a good font management app, Apple's iCal, etc... (I am not a gamer, so I don't need any games on my computer). Please note the emphasis on "up to par". (For example someone told me regarding 3D apps, Linux users like Blender. Being a Cinema 4D user, Blender seems a bit like a nightmare to learn and the end results aren't that great).

Also, how does Linux play with Android phones?

Is Ubuntu/Linux the OS for me, or should I keep looking?

Thank you very much in advance.

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

New to Ubuntu
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:32:23 AM »

Offline friTTe

Re: New to Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:50:03 AM »
Hi, myself is running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my desktop and my netbook, its awesome =)
dont know that much about programs since ive never used Mac, but seems that its almost possible to find anything.

As for the web browser i would recommend Chromium, Evolution for email (built in) alomng with this twitter/facebook feed thingy Gwibber.

Open Office is a good choice instead of Ms office, and its compatible with .doc files i think, or else there is some plugin for that.

Jukebox programs i use is mainly Banshee (got lot of extras and stuff, podcasts etc) alos sometimes the Winamp lookalike Audacious.

Rosegarden might be something like garageband, or maybe try out Lmms (fruity loop kind of program)

As for the phone, i got the SE x10 and it works straight out the box with my built in bluetooth on the netbook (pairing is easy then youre good to go)

Hehe dont know if this made the choice easier but, i know i tried Wubi installation of Kubuntu and Ubuntu on my Xp machine for a while.
Also some Livecd distros aswell to see how it works and looks.

But for me it was simple, i just did a clean install and havent looked back since...cant imagine why i havent done this earlier.

But head over to Ubuntu.org site and download an Iso and try it out as a Livecd, no installation.

Cheers :)

Offline joe12

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:58:29 AM »
hi

-well 
Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe After Effects, Apple's Garageband
  yes the are mybe apps like that you may be able to keep mac /ubuntu on the same system , Split  the hard drive in half in the installer .

-Firefox come with ubuntu and you can install Thunderbird for email .

-Android phones do work with ubuntu .

-if you want a system which a finnished Ubuntu  try Linux mint @linuxmint.com .

hope it enlight's you !

Offline smarmy

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:21:32 AM »
You'll want to use Gimp, it's a really solid Photoshop replacement, unless you're doing things on a professional level.

The Android phone will thank you for using it with a linux box, as it's a linux system itself.

BTW - I switched to an Android phone from an iPhone for several reasons, and while it wasn't the main one, I wasn't happy with Apple business practices either, so kind of glad to leave them behind.