Author Topic: Running World of Warcraft from Ubuntu 8.12  (Read 2516 times)

Offline jllusty

Running World of Warcraft from Ubuntu 8.12
« on: June 26, 2010, 04:19:47 AM »
Hello Ubuntu Forums, I have been working with Linux for around three weeks now and I little familiar with it. However, one particular task still eludes me. . . That task is: Playing World of Warcraft. Please give me detailed instructions if possible.

Computer details:
ATI/AMD graphics card;
32 bit system;
Ubuntu 8.12;

Also: I have successfully installed my graphics card.

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Running World of Warcraft from Ubuntu 8.12
« on: June 26, 2010, 04:19:47 AM »

Offline joe12

Re: Running World of Warcraft from Ubuntu 8.12
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 12:59:46 PM »
hi

- would install ubuntu 10.04 ... i've not head of ubuntu 8:12 do you mean ubuntu 8:10  ??

Offline Icesnake

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:33 PM »
You have two free-of-cost options: wine ("WINdows Emulator"), and virtualbox. I used to run WoW in wine so I know it works. If you choose to run virtualbox, you will need installation media for whatever version of Windows you want to pretend to be running (because you will actually *be* running it), so I would try wine first if I were you.

I'm command-line oriented, so here's the procedure as I would do it; first, open a terminal, then enter each of these lines and follow the prompts:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine

At this point you will have wine installed. You should be able to simply install WoW at this point (or, if you already have it installed on a Windows box, copy the World of Warcraft folder over to ~/.wine ) and then run Launcher.exe from the WoW folder.

If you find that doesn't do it, contact me through the wowphiles.com Web site and I will review my installation process and get more detailed notes for you.

Offline xzcallaway

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »
There is a growing number of .deb packages available for download which do not require wine at dotdeb.com.