Author Topic: Wireless Card not detected  (Read 5727 times)

Offline DaGleese

Wireless Card not detected
« on: January 06, 2010, 07:01:21 PM »
hi hows it going?

yeah i installed ubuntu yesterday, however i am unable to connect to the internet. i have tried;
ethernet - found the wired connection, however still wont connect
wireless - absolutely no connection established
o2 portable broadband - absolutely no connection established

i need to connect to the net, from there i will be able to get all my software the user friendly way

can someone give me an absolute babystep assistance to getting ubuntu to install drivers for my wireless card? its a broadcom wireless LAN card integrated to my laptop

it seems to have detected the card itself as lspci listed it

i actually have no idea how to use linux at all, im a born windows dummy and ill need to be talked to as such :-)

i tried installing ndiswrapper and ndisgtk, it did stuff when i launchd the install of ndiswrapper in terminal, but then it went off and no changes seem to have happened....

this also may be to do with me not having a clue how to use it.... or install it....

please can i get guided assistance, as for all the guides out there.... tl;dr sums them up :P

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Wireless Card not detected
« on: January 06, 2010, 07:01:21 PM »

Offline gg234

Re: Wireless Card not detected
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 04:33:48 PM »
Could please provide the following details

1) What hardware you are using laptop or desktop.

2) Wireless card model details

So that we can try to check step by step

Offline GodLikeCreature

• The Linux Experience
Re: Wireless Card not detected
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 07:23:01 AM »
hi hows it going?

yeah i installed ubuntu yesterday, however i am unable to connect to the internet. i have tried;
ethernet - found the wired connection, however still wont connect
wireless - absolutely no connection established
o2 portable broadband - absolutely no connection established

i need to connect to the net, from there i will be able to get all my software the user friendly way

can someone give me an absolute babystep assistance to getting ubuntu to install drivers for my wireless card? its a broadcom wireless LAN card integrated to my laptop

it seems to have detected the card itself as lspci listed it

i actually have no idea how to use linux at all, im a born windows dummy and ill need to be talked to as such :-)

i tried installing ndiswrapper and ndisgtk, it did stuff when i launchd the install of ndiswrapper in terminal, but then it went off and no changes seem to have happened....

this also may be to do with me not having a clue how to use it.... or install it....

please can i get guided assistance, as for all the guides out there.... tl;dr sums them up :P

Hey!

Welcome into the great world of Linux and Ubuntu in particular!

Please understand that these early issues may be related to your hardware manufacturer not supporting Linux.  In other words, donĀ“t let this initial frustration get in the way!  ;-)

In order to get the info you need around your networking hardware, try the following:

1.- Open a terminal (Go to Applications menu > Accessories)
2.- From the command line type:

lshw - C network >> hardware.txt

3.- That command you just typed will list networking hardware and output it into a text file.  Now, open the text file from the GUI, it should be right at your home folder.

4.- Paste its contents here, that should help us in helping you.

Good luck