Author Topic: mythbuntu locked me out of gnome desktop  (Read 1311 times)

Offline jbs1

mythbuntu locked me out of gnome desktop
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:55:14 PM »
Hello - All,
  Last week I installed mythbuntu from the repositories!!  BIG mistake, apparently.  NOW - my system is completely bricked!!!!  Can't get back to my ubuntu 10.04?
  Upon start up, myth splash screen appears - continues to login  - then nothing but a black screen with line across the top with a 24hr. clock!!?
  I can do nothing....ctrl+alt+1 or 2 gives me cmd prompts....I've tried this cmd..sudo apt get --reinstall install ubuntu-dekstop.
Works to a point....says installing desktop 1.197....then another cmd prompt and stops at ~$ .... More cmds are needed???
  I 'm ready to reinstall ubuntu!!!  While in the live CD/ISO, I can see all my files, ubuntu is there....searching for myth in synaptic,,,NOT THERE...doing a search for files, I find 84 - but no way to delete them?
  I have 2 HD's - one for windows one for ubuntu...How can I be completely sure I'm in the ubuntu drive?  Gparted tells me about the HD's...I mount the ubuntu HD to my desktop....Then what?   
  Is it as simple as clicking on the install folder on the desktop??  I doubt it!
  Thanks for help/suggestions.
  John in Dallas.

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

mythbuntu locked me out of gnome desktop
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:55:14 PM »

Offline jbs1

Re: mythbuntu locked me out of gnome desktop
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 08:33:57 PM »
Never mind!!!  SOLVED PROBLEM.....GDM was the key....