Author Topic: Unison file sync with Ubuntu and windows 7  (Read 5793 times)

Offline BS

Unison file sync with Ubuntu and windows 7
« on: July 28, 2010, 01:09:57 PM »
Is anyone aware of a standalone document/tutorial (or willing to have a go at writing one) that explains how to file sync with Unison and windows 7 in Ubuntu.

I'm not talking so much about the intricate workings of Unison. That is covered in numerous places. What I am talking about is getting operational with windows 7 over a simple network. (pc-router-pc)

Ubuntu works great as a standard install. I can transfer files back and forth between My Ubuntu laptop and windows 7 laptop using the Ubuntu or Windows file managers.
The issue is with the protocols SSH RSH that Unison use and my lack of understanding of how to set this up on both machines and then the syntax of the file paths to use with Unison once set up.

Individually on the net there seems to be a fair amount of documentation scattered around on these subjects. However to me it seemed reminiscent of Alice in wonderland. Where I chased a rabbit down a hole following this article which led to that article etc. etc. Culminating in no idea what to do or if I would find a solution. :'(

It seems a few people would like to use such a setup but there seems no concise document on how to do it that I can find.

Any help is appreciated.

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Unison file sync with Ubuntu and windows 7
« on: July 28, 2010, 01:09:57 PM »

Offline VPCZ1

Re: Unison file sync with Ubuntu and windows 7
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »
I've recently been stuck in a position to use Windows 7 on my primary laptop with Ubuntu everywhere else.  I'm heavily invested in the Ubuntu space, so this transition has been fairly traumatic.  To be fair, I've really enjoyed the majority of the Windows 7 experience.  The only two serious flaws (that have existed since Windows XP) remain the fact that file actions can be misrepresented and there remains a lot going on behind the scenes.  I'm a minimalist/purest at the core and simply want my OS to be honest and up front with regard to process progress and completeness.

As it relates to Unison, I've tried (twice) to get GTK (2.16) and Unison (2.32.52) working without success.   I'll be trying again (at least once) in the next 10 days and will post my experience here.

If there is actually anyone out there that has this working in Windows 7 (64 bit) and connecting properly to Ubuntu 10.10 (64 bit) I'd sincerely appreciate the help/advice.