Author Topic: How to install Flash Player 10 64-bit version [Tutorial]  (Read 3088 times)

Offline MinnesotaJon

How to install Flash Player 10 64-bit version [Tutorial]
« on: January 08, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »
Flash Player 10 64-bit will not automatically install from the Adobe Flashplayer download website.  The 32 bit version will install on a 32 bit Linux installation, but not on a 64 bit Linux installation.  There are some Bash scripts offered on different Linux forums, but they don't always work -- sometimes, the locations of files are not on the servers referenced in the scripts.  In my experience, the easiest way to install Flash Player 10 64 bit is:

* Go to the Adobe Labs website (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/) and download the 64 bit TAR.GZ file for Flash Player 10.
    * Double-click it after the download, to extract the "libflashplayer.so" file.  Either extract it directly into your "plugins" folder for your browser, or extract it somewhere else and copy that file into your “/plugins” folder in your browser folder.
     * For my installation of Firefox, there was no existing “/plugins” folder, so I had to create a folder named “plugins” in the "/.mozilla" folder.  After I created that folder, I just pasted the file "libflashplayer.so" there. Very easy. 

Remember that you have to go to the "View" menu on your folder window and check the "Show Hidden Files" option to be able to see the "/.mozilla" (or other browser) folder.  My user name is “jon”, so the complete path to paste the .so file into was:
//home/jon/.mozilla/plugins/

After you do this download-extraction-paste operation, you must reboot your computer to make the plugin take effect.

I recently updated my Firefox installation to "Shiretoko" (Firefox 3.5), and I had to repeat this procedure after the update.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:12:23 PM by UbuntuGeek »

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

How to install Flash Player 10 64-bit version [Tutorial]
« on: January 08, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »