Author Topic: Iomega HDD File Transfer to Windows  (Read 1287 times)

Offline zubbs1

Iomega HDD File Transfer to Windows
« on: February 03, 2012, 04:27:06 AM »
I know nothing about linux, so please bear with me.

I have an Iomega 1tb Home Network NAS with attached USB Iomega 2TB external hdd for over a year now. It is connected to a router, with a static assigned ip address that I can ping, but it cannot be manually mapped through windows 7 (designed this way I believe by iomega), and it fails to map itself at all anymore. It has had this issue repeatedly in the past (every time that it has happened it disconnected itself during a file transfer to or from the nas), but usually corrects itself with a power cylce of the router, the nas drive, and a reboot of my laptop. It no longer is correcting itself with these methods. Having known this issue, I copied everything to the 2 TB thinking if it every did fail to reconnect, I could just usb plug the 2TB into my laptop to directly transfer files. I had not realized that the file system would not be ntfs and therefore seen by windows 7 as corrupt an needing a format.

I don't care about the NAS, as I've decided to just build a desktop and run all media storage through it rather than a nas. I do however care a great deal about all the files on the 2TB drive.

Sorry for the long prelude. Here is the crux of the issue:
I want to copy the data from the 2TB to another drive. I know its in a linux file structure, and I can see the files when I load ubuntu 11.10. I have the dual OS and the virtual box with a flash drive.

How do I actually copy files from the external drive to C: usuing ubuntu?

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Iomega HDD File Transfer to Windows
« on: February 03, 2012, 04:27:06 AM »