Author Topic: A Linux Newbie  (Read 1386 times)

Offline FredAt

A Linux Newbie
« on: October 06, 2011, 02:20:46 AM »
Hello All,

It occurred to me recently that there was pretty much nothing I do (I develop HTML5 web apps) that requires me to run Windows on my computer so I have made the switch to Ubuntu 11.04 on my main development machine - a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook N.  While things have gone quite smoothly I have run into two issues

• When I boot up - even when I restore a hibernated session - I get presented with a blank grey screen.  I actually very nearly gave up on Ubuntu at this stage.   However, I discovered quite by accident that if I close the computer (i.e. fold it over) and then reopen it a few seconds later everything is working correctly.  This is what I am doing right now but there has got to be a more technical fix!
  • I have installed and run Apache on this machine - purely for me to use as a local server.  The issue I have run into is with ownership of the var folder and its contents.  I kept being told that I did  not have access to the /var/www directory etc.  I ended up chowning/chmoding everything and it works.  However, I wonder if this is not the wrong thing to do

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

A Linux Newbie
« on: October 06, 2011, 02:20:46 AM »