Author Topic: Permanently changing screen resolution on an NVIDIA card [Tutorial]  (Read 3390 times)

Offline MinnesotaJon

I have an NVIDIA graphics card (driver version 185.18.36), and wanted to use the proprietary drivers.  However, every time I booted up, my resolution was set to a lower level than I wanted.  I could re-set the resolution every session, using the NVIDIA control console, but I couldn't save the configuration with the control on the console, because I got the error message "Couldn't delete the file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'".  I tried to delete this file manually, using Terminal and the "chown" command to obtain permissions for the delete, but the system would not allow me to delete the file.

Eventually, I found this advice on the webpage "http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-linux-unix-delete-remove-file/":
"Usually, on most filesystems, deleting a file requires write permission on the parent directory (and execute permission, in order to enter the directory in the first place). (Note that, confusingly for beginners, permissions on the file itself are irrelevant.)"

In order to allow the NVIDIA control program to re-set the display resolution permanently, I used this command on the Terminal program:
sudo chown username /etc/X11

You would use your own user name instead of "username".  Problem solved.

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Offline Bruce H

Re: Permanently changing screen resolution on an NVIDIA card [Tutorial]
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:30:49 PM »
There's a better way.

in the terminal, type:

gksudo nvidia-settings

This will bring up the nVidia settings dialog in super user mode and you can save the config file normally

Offline MinnesotaJon

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »
Bruce H. -- Good point, and thanks.  The (small) advantage to using "chown" as I did is that you can go directly to the NVIDIA console without using Terminal, at future times where you decide to change the resolution.  The fix is permanent.  As a newbie who is weak on Linux keywords and syntax, I prefer to keep my use of Terminal to a minimum.

Offline Bruce H

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 08:18:37 PM »
In that case, I would suggest editing your menu to include gksudo.

Right click on the Applications menu button. Choose "Edit Menus". In the Edit Menus dialog, click on System->Administration. Highlight the NVIDIA X Server Settings entry in the right pane. Click "Properties". Add "gksudo" to the beginning of the command in the Command box.

Close that dialog and the edit menu dialog. You should be all set.

Offline Bruce H

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:17 PM »
Here's a screenshot that might help. I added the full path to gksudo in the dialog box.

Offline MinnesotaJon

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 02:07:21 AM »
Bruce H. -- Very cool.  I can see that this method has a lot of utility in other situations too.  Thanks again!