Author Topic: Xubuntu vs Lubuntu  (Read 38117 times)

Offline blondyman1503

Xubuntu vs Lubuntu
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »
i know everyone always asks "Ubuntu or Kubuntu"
but im wondering about Xubuntu and Lubuntu...
both say that they are lightweight versions of Ubuntu...but which is better all around?

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Xubuntu vs Lubuntu
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »

Offline joe12

Offline tdmeskimo

Re: Xubuntu vs Lubuntu
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:33:36 AM »
hi, Xubuntu vs Lubuntu is personally would say for a lighter experience go with Lubuntu, if you want to have a little bit more performance and some more speed, then go with Xubuntu.  This how i am personally bench marking my experience!

I have a single dell inspiron B120, with 2 GB of ddr2 ram @ 400Mhz speed,
a Celeron CPU @ 1.4 Ghz, integrated video, integrated sound, and 250 GB HDD for Gnome and 40 GB HDD for Lxde.

when I goto Youtube depending on the video in Gnome the video can get robotic, and with Lxde in firefox it is good, but with Google Chrome it is great!  with all that said, this is all over a wireless g connection, i not using a n network adapter, the router can goto N, but i do fine with g adapter.  Always have and i can watch hulu video, youtube movies and other video, tv.com, crackle video, once in a while i feel i should up grade my adapter to N but not yet.  I do believe since I once did have Xubuntu installed for about 6 months before taking over the 40GB HDD from Xubuntu to Lunbuntu that hands down Lubuntu is lighter, but i am also finding less eye candy, as far as themes and so on.

I hope this helps.  :D

Offline YefgenyKafelnikov

Re: Xubuntu vs Lubuntu
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »
I have tested lubuntu 10.10.
I confirm that it runs fast!,
After installation I was asked to upgrade the kernel.
During this task the bootloader grob has deleated my windows bootoption enty of my primary c: ntfs.
So you must be carful!
I have only one problem with the vlc player. In my opinion it works a little bit too slow.
It is not possible to surf during streaming! I do not know why. Perhaps something is wrong with the MTU settings!
I hope somebody could help.
I have an old notebook with a 2,2 ghz intel pentium 4 single cpu with 512mb ram and 64mb ati.