Author Topic: [HELP] Installing Windows 7 when only having Ubuntu 11.10  (Read 4097 times)

Offline qjrmakstp

[HELP] Installing Windows 7 when only having Ubuntu 11.10
« on: December 23, 2011, 04:33:54 AM »
I need help installing Windows 7 on Ubuntu.

I'm on Ubuntu 11.10 right now. I have an iso image file of Windows 7 installation.
However when I mount the iso file, there is only a file named readme.txt in the mounted iso folder, and nothing else.

I've been searching around many ways to get this working.

1. I tried Nautilus scripts and Kernel Loop. They didn't work. (*There is possibility that I might have done them in wrong ways. If that's the case, please explain the procedures to me in plain English rather than broken programmer's slack language, and using proper grammar!) - Although, I'm in an urgent situation and I'm having some personal problems that are stressing me out at the moment, so I'm not paying attention to so much on my writing right now. Sorry...
Anyway, I succeeded writing the scripts for mounting and unmounting, but I got stuck at the point where I had to enter the password for '/bin/echo 'got r00t'' because neither 'Ubuntu' or my personal account password worked. When I enter either of the passwords, an error message comes up saying "ISO Mounter; Cannot mount /home/(username)/Desktop/Windows7.iso!" (which is the directory where my iso file is).
And I wasn't completely sure how to approach on Kernel Loop. (Please help.)

2. I don't have any USB sticks (I have one that's not big enough for the iso file to go in), except I have one 640GB Portable/External Hard Drive. However, using another computer in my household, I downloaded Windows 7 USB/CD Download Tool(s) and tried to burn (or make a bootable USB Hard Drive) the iso file onto the portable hard drive, but Windows 7 USB/CD Download Tool wouldn't detect any compatible USB drives even though my hard drive is clearly connected to the computer. (Please help with this issue, too, Windows users!)

3. I tried downloading other useful Ubuntu iso-related softwares such as VirtualBox, but I am currently having the problem where any downloading or updating wouldn't work. The error message is: "Requires installation of untrusted packages; The action would require the installation of packages from unauthenticated sources."
I haven't tried any scripts to fix that problem yet. Working with Terminal is too much for me... But if that'd be the only case, I'll put up with it.

4. I don't own any DVD-R nor CD that I can write/burn this iso file on. (As stated above, I only have a 640-GB portable hard drive) I recently formatted that 640GB hard drive (quick format because actual formatting took too long to wait...), and it is NTFS, as far as I know.

Besides that... this is all my fault. Shouldn't have switched to Ubuntu from Windows 7. My laptop (that I'm using AND on Ubuntu at the moment, trying to switch back to Windows 7 but not working) primarily had Windows 7 Home Premium installed on. (It's a Hewlett Packard (HP))
I once switched to Ubuntu 11.10, and I couldn't get used to it. I've been a Windows user for more than 10 years. I like Ubuntu Unity because it looks like Mac, but it doesn't really do everything that Windows can. I trusted the 'media talk' too early.

Please help!
How can I install Windows 7 (with the Windows 7 iso file) when I'm on Ubuntu, in the situation like this?
I want my Windows back.
A step-by-step instruction would be nice!
Ask me any questions in order to approach this problem in better ways, though.
Thank you.

--------------

I also posted the same thread/topic on another forum site.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11558678#post11558678
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:48:08 AM by qjrmakstp »

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

[HELP] Installing Windows 7 when only having Ubuntu 11.10
« on: December 23, 2011, 04:33:54 AM »

Offline krs205

• Ubuntu Linux Guide
Re: [HELP] Installing Windows 7 when only having Ubuntu 11.10
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »
I am pretty sure you will need to spend a few dollars and purchase a usb flash drive that will be able to hold your iso file. You also need to be sure you have two separate partitions on the hard drive (NTFS) you are installing to, one for Windows 7 and one for Ubuntu 11.10. If you are unsure how to create a partition in Ubuntu you can follow this tutorial http://www.ubuntulinuxguide.com/hard-disk-partition using a GUI so no terminal windows. I am almost positive you will not be able to install Windows 7 on an Ubuntu system unless you boot from the Windows installation disk or drive at startup.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:12:00 PM by krs205 »

Offline walrusii

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »
I had the same problem getting the windows 7 iso files to show up. I tried using GisoMount and FuseIso but could only see readme.txt. I was able to get all the files to show up using gparted though. Install it with the normal spiel.
~$ sudo apt-get install gparted

Then mount with
~$sudo mount ~/path/to/iso /mnt -o loop

The files will be located in /mnt. I don't know how to install without a flash drive or disc. If you have a flash drive you just need to format it to ntfs using gparted. Make sure it's tagged as bootable as well. Then just drag and drop the files onto your flash drive.  I've never done it, but I believe you can do the same thing with any other drive or partition.

Offline krs205

• Ubuntu Linux Guide
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
You may be able to install windows 7 from your external hard drive. You will need to be sure that drive is formatted and partitioned prior to beginning the install. You will also need to set your external hard drive as the first device to boot from in bios. If you need directions on how to format your drive check this tutorial out. http://www.ubuntulinuxguide.com/hard-disk-partition
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:09:40 PM by krs205 »