Author Topic: Ubuntu 11.10 Terminal  (Read 3812 times)

Offline mariofan811

Ubuntu 11.10 Terminal
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:02:09 AM »
i just installed ubuntu 11.10 and tried using thr terminal. but every time i want to use the sudo commands, i have to put my password. the problem is i can't type anything in that field. so if someone can help me please tell me. :(

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Ubuntu 11.10 Terminal
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:02:09 AM »

Offline nevyn.alive

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 Terminal
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
you could try to install "terminator"  it is a better terminal any way  (in my opinion)

or you could change your sudoers file "visudo" to not require authentication for your user  (possibly will need to Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login from there do it).

hope this gets you around the problem until someone can suggest a fix for you

REgards
Nevyn
--- Copied off a site below on what to add to your sudoers   file to not require a password ----
http://www.wlug.org.nz/SudoHowto

Setting sudo to not require a password

In many situations people wish to not have to enter a password. This is useful if you are the only user on the machine, or if you really trust your admin users and know that they keep good security with respect to their passwords, accounts, SSH keys, and so on.

%wheel         ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL

This lets all users in the wheel group run all commands, from all hosts, without having to enter their password ever. Note that they still have to use the sudo command!

If you don't wish to deal with groups, you can of course substitute a username in for the %wheel token:

jack           ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL