Author Topic: [SOLVED] Please Help - Strange NVIDIA Problem  (Read 5357 times)

Offline sweetld

[SOLVED] Please Help - Strange NVIDIA Problem
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:17:58 PM »
Hi,

Can someone please help me? Please note although a Java developer and veteran Windows and OS/2 user I am completely new to Linux.

I bought a brand new Samsung laptop, wiped Windows 7 and installed Ubuntu 10.04. The install worked like a charm and it automatically and correctly recognized my NVIDA Geforce M310 video hardware and let me install the propriety driver to get 3D support. I have spent a few months since then getting to grips with everything, installing Compiz and all the other software I need to do everything I want. I also got all the fancy desktop eye candy working, with Cario Dock running giving me a Mac like 3D bottom bar. I recently finally sorted out my last issue - which was getting my Epsom Scanner / Printer combo working with the Scanner (printing worked fine first time) - so was  really starting to enjoy the whole experience of using Linux :) :)

That was until about a week ago... I have been regularly updating as and when updates have been available, however a recent update (not sure what it was) suddenly caused a problem as when I rebooted Ubuntu I noticed that the Cario Dock was leaving a large black background area on the screen which would never clear - it still worked, but you lost all the normal windows on the desktop underneath the black area that was left behind the dock bar.

Whilst this was not the end of the world, it very quickly annoyed me greatly and I didn't want to simply stop using Cario Dock, so I tried everything I could with the Cario Dock settings, and Compiz but nothing helped. In fact all I succeeded in doing was ending up without a window manager running at all when I rebooted!

So I tried uninstalling and re-installing Cario Dock and all the Compiz stuff and got to a point where I had a window manager again, but now none of the cool desktop effects!! (And still no Cario Dock)

It then dawned on me that maybe it was something to do with the latest updates - which I seemed to recall included a screen driver update of some sort - so I fiddled about with the NVIDA driver install, uninstalled the driver and tried to go back to an older version of the driver I downloaded from the NVIDA web site directly. I have now tried 5 different versions of the drivers from NVIDA, have had all sorts of problems installing them, some work some don't and now I'm in a situation where according to the Hardware Drivers I running the "latest" NVIDIA driver, but I can't re-enable all the desktop effects through the Appearance - Visual Effects tab.

Sure it allows me to select Extra or Custom, it even seems to work and the screen flickers and it comes up asking if I want to keep these settings, however when I agree nothing has changed, still no effects. Also when I close Appearance and restart it, it's gone back to None in the Visual Effects tab.

Oh, and still no Cario Dock, which started all this in the first place!! :-[ :-[

Everything else on my laptop is still working fine, so I am really loathed to reinstall everything from scratch - it took me ages to get everything working - but even after googling and trying lots of stuff I'm still completely stuck, and I really would like all the 3D support back again with all the really cool and fancy effects and desktop cube and switching that I had (the envy of all my work colleagues!!)

Sorry for  the long story, has anyone got any ideas please?? I am willing to supply any information that may help my cause!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:13:02 AM by sweetld »

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

[SOLVED] Please Help - Strange NVIDIA Problem
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:17:58 PM »

Offline joe12

Re: Please Help - Strange NVIDIA Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 10:22:32 PM »
hi ,

This sounds like an Kernel update issue !

1)Remove the NVIDIA ( Both the one you install throught the website and Ubuntu ) .

2)In the terminal type
Code: [Select]
cat /etc/lsb-release and post back the out put  .

Thx !

Offline sweetld

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:08:11 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for replying and apologies for not responding sooner (just got back from a trip abroad).

I have un-activated the NVIDIA driver from the "Additional Drivers" utility (sorry this is all I know how to do currently...) and rebooted so it uses the standard screen driver. The result of running the command

cat /etc/lsb-release
is
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10"

As you can see, in the meantime I have tried upgrading to the latest version of Ubuntu to see if that helped me at all.... It has not.

However, for the fist time the laptop function keys to change the screen brightness are working since upgrading and using the standard screen drivers - they have never worked before - so that's progress  ;)

Anyway, if there is anything else that I can try, please let me know.

Offline sweetld

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 12:11:13 AM »
Hi,

Well I have FINALLY got it WORKING AGAIN!!

Wow, that took some perseverance I must say (good job that I'm a stubborn *** that hates giving up!!)

After much googling of posts and re-installing compiz, emerald, NVIDIA screen drivers and cairo-dock countless times, fiddling with xorg.conf settings and playing about with window managers, compositing, compiz-check and compiz fusion icon for ages I finally came across a post here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1488662 that triggered the start of the end. The key was in the last post of the thread that mentioned that despite all of the above compiz could be tripped up if you have this environment variable set:

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1

As soon as I saw this I realized the I had set this environment variable somewhere before and it didn't take too long from there to find out some more information on setting environment variables and more importantly where to set them globally for me to find where I had added it (etc/profile) to fix another problem (Skype not working with my web cam).

Now I have this set in the script that starts Skype, so only Skype is effected by it and everything else on my laptop sprang back into life properly!!

Well it's been quite a learning curve, useful actually as my understanding of some concepts has increased significantly through the process (window managers, composited window managers, environment variables, installing and un-installing NVIDIA drivers, X, booting to a command prompt with no X running, stopping X, the profile and bashrc files and Ctrl + Alt + F3 to name but a few).

Hopefully, this will prove useful to someone somewhere and save them some effort...

8) 8)

I have a FULLY working Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with the very latest NVIDIA drivers, latest cairo-dock and latest compiz-fusion installed.

How cool is Linux??!! 

8) 8)

Offline joe12

Re: [SOLVED] Please Help - Strange NVIDIA Problem
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 02:32:11 PM »

sorry if i did not get back to you

great to here that -- Google is a good tool to use !