Author Topic: nvidia card strikes again. All kinds of issues...  (Read 1200 times)

Offline munificent

nvidia card strikes again. All kinds of issues...
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »
I've searched these forums to no avail for a solution to my situation, which I will try to describe as thoroughly as possible, and then request some specific help.

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 on an HP N40L microserver. In it is a Zotac GT520 Synergy card. My goal is to get the HDMI port to output a 1080p signal to my Samsung Blu-Ray player/amp along with sound.

What I have achieved so far is to get an HDMI signal without sound to show up on the TV, but the card thinks the Blu-Ray player/amp is a 720 source, and so insists on upscaling to 1080p rather than giving me a nice native output. As a by-product of my card's odd approach, the edges of all corners of the screen are not visible on the TV, so navigation around the desktop is difficult.

I have tried to get the nvidia 295.59 drivers on to my system, but it seems keen to keep on 259.49 despite my trying to install using apt-get from the terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/nvidia
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

I have, I believe, blacklisted nouveau. Below is a copy of what I see from the ( sudo dpkg -l nvidia*) command:

+++-==============-==============-============================================
un nvidia-180-mod <none> (no description available)
un nvidia-185-mod <none> (no description available)
ii nvidia-common 1:0.2.44 Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii nvidia-current 295.59-0ubuntu NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and
un nvidia-current <none> (no description available)
ii nvidia-current 295.49-0ubuntu NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and
ii nvidia-setting 295.33-0ubuntu Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv
ii nvidia-setting 295.33-0ubuntu Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv

I hope that explains my situation, problem and desired resolution accurately enough. It's difficult for me, as I have about one day's worth of Ubuntu experience, so there is very little OS familiarity going on. In fact, there's none at all.

What I would like, therefore, is exact help (ie - what to type in the terminal) to do the following:

1) Disable the earlier versions of the nvidia drivers so that I can get my card up to the current 295.59 version and thus - I hope - maximum compatibility [NB - as the goal is only a clean 1080 source that displays correctly, this might not be necessary, but it seems like a sensible first step].

2) Stop my card and driver trying to think for itself and deciding my amp is only a 720 source. I want it to output a plain old 1080p signal (with sound). I don't want it trying to match my requirements the way it sees fit, and failing as a result! This is the really important one for me, as I don't want upscaled nonsense ruining my media playback. I need crisp, clear 1080p!

3) It might be necessary to tweak the zoom of the display output, even when a native 1080p signal has been achieved, so that I can see the edges of the screen and thus work the OS easily. This is not critical since xbmc has this feature, and that is where I need it most. However, it would be nice to be able to see the whole screen as I should. I'm hoping solving problem 2 will solve this by default, but the way my luck's been going, I'm not holding my breath.

Thank you in advance for reading through this and for any help you may be able to offer. This has been a powerhouse of frustration!

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

nvidia card strikes again. All kinds of issues...
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »