Author Topic: Question about dialup net connection with wvdial  (Read 2375 times)

Offline jonw

Question about dialup net connection with wvdial
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:02:01 PM »
Hello--complete newbie to Ubuntu Linux (and this forum), so I hope you can endure my ignorance.  ;)

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 (installed from LiveCD a few days ago), and am connecting to the internet using an external USB dialup modem.

Connecting using the terminal command:  sudo wvdial
...seems to work fine, but I have a few questions:

1  Am I running a security risk using the sudo command? Doesn't the sudo command connect me as the root, leaving me exposed to malware? If so, is there a more secure, less-risky way to connect with wvdial?

2  How can I determine the connection speed during a wvdial session? When I was using WinXP, I'd get various ISP connection speeds, some very slow (under 30k), so I'd disconnect and try again hoping for a speed near 50k. This might take two or three tries. But I haven't found a way to see connection speed using wvdial.

3  Would using gnome-ppp give any advantage over terminal command line? I know it's a graphical front-end, but does it have any other advantages, like security? And if I download gnome-ppp (I don't think it's on the 10.04 LiveCD, as the wvdial .deb packages were), I'd like to be sure I have a safe connection--one reason I ask the sudo/root question above.

I'm willing to try other connection methods, if there's a better+more secure way to connect.

Appreciate the help--very impressed with the level of knowledge on this site--thanks!

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Question about dialup net connection with wvdial
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:02:01 PM »

Offline joe12

Re: Question about dialup net connection with wvdial
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:49:51 AM »
hi

1  Am I running a security risk using the sudo command? Doesn't the sudo command connect me as the root, leaving me exposed to malware? If so, is there a more secure, less-risky way to connect with wvdial?

Malware is not a problem for Linux , see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo. you can install the firewall font @ http://gufw.tuxfamily.org ,

2  How can I determine the connection speed during a wvdial session? When I was using WinXP, I'd get various ISP connection speeds, some very slow (under 30k), so I'd disconnect and try again hoping for a speed near 50k. This might take two or three tries. But I haven't found a way to see connection speed using wvdial.

use Network tools under system .

3  Would using gnome-ppp give any advantage over terminal command line? I know it's a graphical front-end, but does it have any other advantages, like security? And if I download gnome-ppp (I don't think it's on the 10.04 LiveCD, as the wvdial .deb packages were), I'd like to be sure I have a safe connection--one reason I ask the sudo/root question above.

well gnome -ppp is a  graphical tool this would mean that you would not have to run  wvdial in the Terminal. it use WvDial dialer as its backend.

hope it helps !

Offline jonw

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 04:53:48 AM »
Great info, joe12--much thanks.

hope it helps !

It does!

Offline Ina Kahn

• A network admin and great baker
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »
Hey jonw, welcome :)
As for security - If you configure and use sudo correctly (only root can configure who has access), there’s no security risk. And as @joe12 noted, you can use a firewall GUI or an ubuntu firewall tool. I’m sure if you search you can other firewall-related tools for ubuntu, those are just a couple off the top of my head.
Regarding Wvdial session connection speed – check this Wvdial page out, might help.
As for using gnome-ppp, I’m totally with @joe12 on that.
Good luck, Ina