Author Topic: Video files play audio but no video. Help please?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Lewin

Video files play audio but no video. Help please?
« on: October 13, 2010, 05:12:06 PM »
Hi everyone, am having trouble watching videos from the hard drive. All media players (Banshee, Xine, VLC) play the audio but show a black screen. The window size changes according to the resolution of the video, but just displays black. YouTube etc are all working fine. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all players, and rebooting, but no luck! I haven't changed any settings, I suspect that an update has caused it but I don't know enough to start digging around. Any suggestions? I'm using Lucid Lynx.

Thanks guys :-)

Lewin

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Video files play audio but no video. Help please?
« on: October 13, 2010, 05:12:06 PM »

Offline joe12

Re: Video files play audio but no video. Help please?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:11:06 PM »
Hello ,

Please could you tell what your video hardware is ?

You can use the log veiwer to check which update you installed .

Was it a Kernel update ?

Hope it helps !

Offline Lewin

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:08:43 PM »
Sure, it's an Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT. Also says G96 in the terminal, is that the chipset or something?

I'm afraid I'm not sure which update it was, the problem started a week or so ago and have installed a couple more updates since then in the hope that it would sort itself out. Any keywords I could look for in the log file to see if the kernel was updated?

If not, are there any specific files I could try reinstalling, fresh drivers or anything? Sorry, I'm fairly new to Linux (can you tell?) and not really confident with the system yet.

Thanks Joe :-)

Offline joe12

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 09:30:30 AM »
hi ,

Ok Try reinstalling the driver !

Have add the x updates ppa ?

And Report Back  Good news (I hope)