Author Topic: How to switchto Gnome session from Xterm  (Read 3801 times)

Offline zaheer

How to switchto Gnome session from Xterm
« on: January 13, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
Hi All, I was just playing with ubuntu session, Gnome, KDE and Xterm, i'm not sure is it Xterm or something else, I switched to Xterm (3rd option) on Ubuntu Login. Now I cant switch back to Gnome sesson, I tried to restart my laptop but it automatically starts with command, no GUI there, In that command line I can see all installed applications but I dont know how to switch back to Gnome, Any help would be highly appreciated.

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

How to switchto Gnome session from Xterm
« on: January 13, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »

monkey

Re: How to switchto Gnome session from Xterm
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:44:09 AM »
Hi. xterm is a terminal emulator, not a Desktop Environment, perhaps you mean XFCE?

Can you explain a bit better? "No GUI here" means it boots into a black text console? Log in with your username and password, and reconfigure the X server with:

Code: [Select]
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
and restart the system

Code: [Select]
sudo reboot
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:47:51 AM by monkey »

Offline zaheer

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:06:44 PM »
Hi thanks for reply, I tried that two commands but it didnt work. I was just trying different commands and fortunately i typed exit command and it worked, many thanks for your reply

monkey

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:49:57 AM »
Hi thanks for reply, I tried that two commands but it didnt work. I was just trying different commands and fortunately i typed exit command and it worked, many thanks for your reply

Were there any error messages running those commands?

Offline zaheer

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:54:11 PM »
I typed those two commands but it didnt do any thing, after that i rebooted but there was the same command line with white background. I'm not very familiar with ubuntu but i think that was a remote terminal session, or may i'm wrong. thanks