Author Topic: Welcome to Ubuntu-Geek's Cafe.  (Read 4531 times)

Offline vrkalak

Welcome to Ubuntu-Geek's Cafe.
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:51:18 PM »
Hey, guys.

Come to think of it ... we asked the Forum Mods for this place ... we had better start using it.  :P

This Cafe is a meeting place to chit-chat about Ubuntu, Linux and Open Source.
A place to 'meet-n-greet' other Ubuntu/Linux users.  Introductions are a must.

As for me ... I have been using Linux for about a year now.
Ubuntu was the first distro I tried.  And now matter, which other distros I try, I always seem to come back to Ubuntu.

I am an Xfce Junkie!!  :)
I have every Linux OS that has Xfce as the default desktop.  http://Xfce.org

I am currently, using and testing, the new Xubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 Alpha 2.
I have found that Lucid is much more stable than the final release of Karmic.
Looking forward to the final release of Lucid this coming April 2010.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone.  I'm sure you'll be seeing more of me. :P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:58:18 PM by vrkalak »

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

Welcome to Ubuntu-Geek's Cafe.
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:51:18 PM »

Offline LinuxRoot

Re: Welcome to Ubuntu-Geek's Cafe.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 09:30:59 PM »
I've been using Linux for about 3 or 4 years now. I've tried a number of distros, but in the end Ubuntu outclassed all of them.

monkey

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 09:10:03 PM »
Hi there Ubuntu Geeks!

Last year flowed straight into this year, replies might be a little behind ;)

I first used Linux bout ten years ago, Red Hat 6 IIRC, and Debian too. The first code I ever compiled in Linux was Quake 1, and then lan'ed it! Rocket jump!

Hardy days was when I really got into it full-time, as my primary OS at home. Since then I can't imagine going back!

I'm dual booting Karmic, my main OS, with Lucid Lynx alpha 2, for testing.

What else... um, I'm a fan of World of Goo! love it. and bananas, too!

Offline MSHax

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 05:45:03 PM »
Hey there Geeks!
I'm actually kinda new to Linux and Ubuntu (about 5 months). I've been using the evil WindowsServer software for years and years on my servers but was introduced to Ubuntu. I gotta say I'm loving it so far (with some minor things I'm learning to deal with). I'm not on Ubuntu Server though, I'm using the GUI desktop version. I'm hoping to learn as much as possible and share what I have learned so far. I tried out several Linux OS and Ubuntu is BY FAR the best I've found ESPECIALLY for server use. I'm also running it on a VM on my MacBook Pro (yeah, I'm a Mac Head).

I look forward to being a part of the community and hope to get involved in some great nerdy discussions. :P

Offline chryatis

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 01:40:02 AM »
Hello fellow Geeks!

I started my Linux adventure with OpenSuse (I think it was version 10.0), but couldn't really get to grips with KDE or YAST.  So I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and never looked back, although I still don't class myself as a competent Linux user. However,  I can usually get by by following tutorials to solve any problems I find.

Although Ubuntu is my primary operating system, I have it dual booted with Windows 7 (mainly because all of the software at University runs on Windows and because they were kind enough to sign me up to MSDNAA so that I could download it for free  ;D).

Finally.....I have installed Ubuntu Lucid Lynx Alpha 3 on Virtual Box and I am really impressed with it.  I love the new colours, and I am amzed that it is playing my music from my Ipod Touch....at last I can ditch iTunes....woohoo ;D

Anyway, I look forward to reading some of your comments/tutorials  :D

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 01:57:28 AM by chryatis »

Offline maheanuu

• An Ocean Apart
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 04:11:23 AM »
Well, I guess that I should tell you a little about myself, I am an old sperry univac field engineer (CETA) and a retired Navy Chief.  I have been in and around electronics since the 40's and computers since the early 60's.  I have been involved in digital electronics and cryptography, along with early voice encryption devices, and after the nam and when I retired I immigrated to Tahiti and here I make my home.  My kids and grandkids are all Tahitians and thereby French, and I became French in 1984.
I started learning DOS in the later part of the 80's  and thought that DOS 3.5 was the cats meow with the compression ability that lil bill stole and had to later pay several wheelbarrows filled with Benjamins for being a crook....
I have been interested in Linux for many years, but found that I either didn't have the time or patience to learn and stayed with windoze instead.  What complete and utter foolish move that was.  I now have a nephew in France working on his Masters in Computer Science who I turned on to linux many years ago (Debian).  He was the lucky one, he had mentors and help and still I have no one here on this island that has even an inkling of what I am going thru at present.  I have 4 boxes up and running, an old HP with Simply Mempis, and another old MSI motherboard that I have Puppy on and a laptop that has Ubuntu (this one) and another old laptop that I put mac pup on for giggles and am still playing with that.  My big tower is running windoze Vista Ultimate Pro (junk, junk, junk), but that is the family machine and I keep it only because they are too afraid to learn Linux...  My daughter is playing with the HP and Mepis, but the others are beyond them so far.

I am older than dirt, but still am learning and trying to play keep up...  Sorta hard but I will not quit and learning has been a solid part of my life from the beginning, I guess that I will have a book in my hand or a laptop that I am banging on when I leave this mortal world...  You will be seeing me around in here and I will be asking questions..

monkey

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 08:24:13 PM »
@maheanuu it's great that you're still into tech, what an inspiration! A little jealous you got to work with the beginnings of encryption, it's a topic I always find interesting, all from the ROT13 paper wheels I made as a kid ;)

Offline Debason

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 01:13:04 PM »
Hello ubuntu friends!
I use this wonderfull OS for 2 cca years I think, and love it more and more. somethimes it gives me headackes and assackes, but still I love it ;)
I' m a network guy, very fresh and to to learn as much as I can. Currently I run Jaunty, did Kola but dislike some features, so now I'm back to Jackalope !
Made a router/fw of a 9.04 server, and I love, still haven't finished it :(

Take care guys, all the best, and hope we learn and help each other as much as we can!

Greeting from Croatia!

Offline MK

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 04:08:54 AM »
 Hi everybody. My name's Mike, I've been running ubuntu for a few months now. I think 10.4 is a big improvement over 9.10. I'm a Vista refugee, though I've used Win since 98. I had a Tiger Mac for a while, too. (Still have it, I got into a permissions issue with File Vault.....)  ::)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning about ubuntu & getting everything better integrated on my Compaq. Cheers!

Offline SpyderBite

• Making People Sad & Angry Since 1996
    • Spyder's Twisted Web
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Been lurking for months when I had a chance. Schedule has freed up recently and now I have a bit more time to socialize again.

Been playing with Linux/Unix on and off since 1994 when I owned a small ISP in northern Arizona. I'm by no means an expert. In fact, whenever my servers ran on a Unix/Linux platform I always hired the same guy to be my network admin. Lets just say I know enough to be dangerous.. to myself that is. ;)

Anyways.. in the real world I'm an author, editor & columnist. I live on the New England coast in Connecticut literally 3 yards from the ocean. I work from home when I'm not traveling on business. I keep a pretty liberal blog that keeps me from getting bored which is rarely if ever. XD

As of January, I decided to go on a Windows/OSX free diet with the exception of the file servers that my fiancé and I share which run Windows 7. My workstation and netbook are both Ubuntu Lucid and I have no plans to change that in the near future.

-Spyder