Author Topic: GUFW  (Read 10400 times)

Offline silvertones

GUFW
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »
This is a little out of context but I think there's enough info to get the jist of my issue. I originally posted it at the Ubuntu forum but seem to get a little runaround.
Sorry about multiple posts.
Let me first back up a bunch of steps. I originally had these two computers connected peer to peer ( adhoc) with Windows on both. After I installed Ubuntu within Widows there was a message " network available" so using the Network Manager I clicked on the wireless tab and configured the security, Ip address, subsetmask and gateway to the same settings as in Windows Voila I was up and running. That simple. I added a folder to the desk top, right clicked on it and checked "share". That's it .That simple. Note: I had previously downloaded "Network Manager" & " file Sharing Service" via the download manager.
Thanks to UBUNTU GEEK for the above setup.

Everyone keeps saying SAMBA. I have no knowledge of SAMBA and how to use or access it. Is the Network Manager a GUI for SAMBA?

I appreciate the help BUT no one appears to be carefully reading what I posted.
My network is Peer to peer wireless ( adhoc) There is no router. One of the computers connects to the Internet via a DIALUP modem.The other computer does not connect to the Internet at all. My network is 2 computers both mine and sit side by side.
File sharing between the two computers works fine UNTIL I engage the GUFW.
I added rules to UFW via GUFW to allow traffic TO ports 135, 137,138,139,445 UDP,TCP FROM XXX.XX.X.X/24 ( the range of the static Ips of both computers)
When I do this the Windows computer can now access the shared files on the Ubuntu computer. So far so good.
PLEASE READ THIS NEXT PART CAREFULLY
The name of my Windows workgroup is " BOBO"
From the Ubuntu Computer I press-- Places--->Network---> ( I then see two folders 1. BOBO & 2.Workgroup)----> press BOBO and the screen goes to the next page that should show an icon of a computer named "music" but it doesn't. It's blank.
If I disengage the FW the Music computer does show.I can the progress on to the shared files on the Windows ( music) computer.
Please note: If I don't put rules into UFW and engage the FW I don't get beyond Network. I can't see "workgroup" icon nor "BOBO" icon.

QUESTIONS:
1. With this setup do I still not need a firewall
2. Why is the FW on the Ubuntu comp. blocking itself from seeing the Windows computer beyond the BOBO workgroup.
3. I see I have SAMBA installed but am not sure that I've ever done anything with it
Maybe that's the issue. If so PLEASE steer me in the right direction.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH

Ubuntu Forums (Ubuntu Linux Support)

GUFW
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »

Offline silvertones

Re: GUFW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »
OK so now I'm embarrassed. I was making things too complicated in my rules.
KISS KISS KISS KISS
What I did to fix:

1. Open the GUFW
2. set allow both udp & tcp
3. In the from I put in the IP address of comp.B
Repeated this for comp. A

ALL IS WELL The FW will block everything except from these two IPs and there IPs assigned for LAN only and also have subset maskes.